Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday Morning Royalty

There is no place like Southern California in January! It's beautiful today!

Carol & I drove around looking for an estate sale on a street called "King's Row" this morning. We did not find the sale, but we did enjoy the fabulous view, which is truly fit for a king. The houses overlook Newport Harbor and on a clear morning (like today) you can see all the way to Catalina. Very pretty. (Check out the link to this real estate site...you'll see what I'm talking about.)

Here's the morning's haul: a gardening hat & book to serve as inspiration. Someday (when I'm retired) I hope to turn my back yard into a really great garden. $1 each. The hat came from a house that Emily & I visited last spring. These people live at the very end of Mariner's Drive, aptly named, since their house (and tennis court, garden, guest houses etc) sit right above the Back Bay. It's a really beautiful area, and they have a huge chunk of property all to themselves. Unfortunately, the house is completely tacky. It looks like a combination of castle and dentist's office. They had lots of stuff, but besides the hat...not exactly my style. We love it, though, when people open their house and invite you right in! Treasure-hunting and looky-looing all wrapped into one. (I know spell-check will not be happy with that one!)


I found a basket and filled it with kid books at another house, which turned out to be the home of a former colleague of Carol's. It's a rare Saturday when we don't run into at least one person that Carol knows! Basket & all these books: $7.




One other little find: an old tin Egyptian cigarette box. $1. Impossible to pass up.


And finally, I thought you might enjoy seeing the Beanie Babies in action. My third-graders are making their way through their multiplication and division tests. Here are the first two students to make it all the way around, each holding their little prize. The Steller's jay and a little blue chameleon (snatched up immediately by this lizard-lover) were the first to go. That's two down and twenty-seven more to go!

3 comments:

  1. Cool cigarette box. (But I would have nowhere to put that. It's a good thing you guys have a big house!) Sounds like a good start to your bday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool cigarette box. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete