Saturday, January 8, 2011

Hello, 2011: Goodbye, Corporate World

Happy New Year!

The holidays are behind us, and the rain has let up temporarily. Time to hit the sales!

Carol & I were joined by Carol's good friend Gretchen this morning. She was lured out by tales of treasure! Unfortunately, being winter, the pickings weren't stellar today. But we did manage to pick up a few goodies. Gretchen found cast iron pans and two big boxes full of three-ring binders for use in her non-profit organization (which I believe has to do with historic preservation of buildings in Long Beach).

The gentleman with boxes and boxes full of binders (you know the ones: they usually have corporate team-building nonsense in their cover pocket) also had some very nice, freshly laundered (tags attached) business attire for sale. Carol's comment: "Looks like somebody is saying, 'Goodbye' to Corporate America!" I bought three Brooks Brothers shirts for Joe. $2 a piece! I think they're going to fit him perfectly, but if not I'm only out $6. (Check the link: those spuds are pricey!) The seller was a reader, too. A very eclectic collection of novels and classics, many of which I already have. I picked up a few more for a little bit of change. (Yes...Sophocles and Aeschylus...very classy. I recently came across a quote from Aeschylus somewhere that grabbed me...that's where that came from.) The book of poems by Jane Kenyon came from another sale. Carol got excited when she saw it and told me I had to buy it. Then the seller got excited because someone at her garage sale knew who Jane Kenyon was. She was herself a poet, (who isn't really?) just gleaning her overcrowded shelves.





The last little find was a total freebie. One of the sales we hit was in an alley. This little plant stand was sitting out with the trash two doors down. Too cute to pass up! And, as you know, I am not too proud to scavenge!
I hope you find many treasures in 2011.















1 comment:

  1. that plant stand looks cuter/in better shape than some of the things we sold today at Jack's garage sale!

    ReplyDelete