Saturday, August 13, 2011

Happy "Garage Sale Weekend!"





In a whirlwind 40-minute tour of the neighborhood this morning I managed to find several very nice little items.


A plain, red quilt: queen size and in perfect condition. Very nice for a change in winter. Even if I decide it's not so good in our room, it will look pretty across the end of the bed in the black & white guest room. $10.



Three lovely blue glasses. I often find glasses or plates in groups of three. I think that's why people get rid of them (because there's not four anymore!) My dishes are all just a big mix of styles and colors, so it doesn't really matter. Plus, we break things a lot. All three glasses: $1.














Three more books. (Look, Em: more George!) The woman who sold me these had lots of great books, but most of them were ones I already own. She sighed when she sold me these and said, "Nobody reads books anymore." I do! I loved Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence, so I'm looking forward to Summer. The Phantom Tollbooth is one that my girls loved when they were little, and this one is a great, illustrated, like-new edition. Three books: $1.50.



A beautiful little sterling silver and garnet bead necklace: $2.



And last, but not least, this wire gizmo. Every year at Christmas time I pore over those fat Pottery Barn catalogs, not so much to actually buy anything, but just to see how they're decorating for the holidays. I've been tempted to buy their long, wire card-holder for a couple of seasons now, but I could never justify the $40 plus it would cost. Well, here it is! (Actually, here's one end of it...the entire thing is not quite five feet long.) I have lots of places in the living room where it might work. I think it actually looks sort of interesting even if I don't stick any photos or cards in it.

The best part? One tenth the PB price: $4.























2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I've looked at that Pottery Barn gizmo as well and thought it was cool but too pricey. Good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the best part about garage sales: you get to live as if you were living beyond your means, because you can pick things up for a fraction of what they cost new.

    I love it.

    ReplyDelete