Saturday, August 6, 2011

Everything from A to Z




Emily headed back to Tucson this morning. It was a badly planned flight: leaving at 10:00 am on a Saturday morning, meaning she'd have to get to the airport early enough that any saling beforehand was out of the question.





So I dropped her off at John Wayne and headed out on my own. My first stop turned up these cast iron A & Z hooks, complete with hardware. $2. Useful. And cute!



These next little items are definitely not for me. My daughter Sara has been creating interesting little nail "art" lately. These were a quarter a bag...so I bought her a couple bucks worth of goodies to play with.





The yellowish leather purse was $2. It had so many cute little zippers and pockets that I couldn't pass it up. Plus it fit over my shoulder like it had been there before...you know how that is. How can you resist? The red dish rack behind it was also $2. That one is for school in our teachers' "lounge". The word "lounge" is a tremendous misnomer here. For one thing, no one is ever "lounging" in there. No one would want to: it is pretty disgusting. The dish rack (which most people ignore, just leaving their dirty dishes in the sink...such pigs!) is old and nasty. Maybe this bright red one will get noticed and people will actually use it. But enough of this rant...





My last purchase was this lovely crock. This garage sale had quite an interesting array of items, including a pretty nice leather sofa, some antique tools, & some "vintage" patio furniture. There were two fairly large boxes full of rubber stamps, which I always check out for use at school. And then there were the crocks. This one was the prettiest, but it didn't have a price tag. As soon as I asked about it I knew I was in trouble. The woman said, "That is a lovely (yes...I see that it's "lovely" or I wouldn't have asked) French (uh oh) piece of crockery. It's about (about??) twenty dollars." So I said, "OK. Will you throw in these two rubber stamps with it?" That threw her for a loop. She said, "Oh. I don't know. Just a minute." She goes over to her friend, and they whisper to each other for about three minutes, and then she reluctantly says, "OK. But this is really worth about seventy five dollars. You're really getting a great deal."





I said, "Thanks!" and hit the road with my (French) crock and my two rubber stamps. I don't know if it really is worth anything, but it looks very pretty on my kitchen counter.


I think the real deal was probably on the stamps. They still had price tags on them: $4.00 for the hummer, and $5.50 for "I really love to read!" Hope you are enjoying your weekend!





Next week is National Garage Sale Weekend! (According to my local Pennysaver). So go forth and find stuff!

3 comments:

  1. What a crock! It does indeed look lovely on your counter top. But I'm not so sure about the bright yellow purse... I'll reserve judgment until I see it in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you could have named this post "Crock of..." I like the bright yellow purse. Good finds!

    ReplyDelete