Sunday, March 13, 2011

Garden Goodies

It might still be winter across most of the US, but here in SoCal it's definitely spring. I have the gardening bug. And now that it will be lighter at the end of the day, there's more time to putz outside. So I was on the lookout for garden goodies.


Here's what I found:


Adirondack chairs. Complete with table & cushions. For sale from a lovely Irishman who insisted that we girls (Carol & I) were not goin' home without these chairs. He said, "Look. We've distressed them quite nicely for you. Took years to get them this way." Maybe it was the accent. In any case the chairs did, indeed, come home with me. $40 for the set. I replaced an old, funky glass table that was sitting on the porch and Carol took the four little chairs that were out there to give to her daughter, Ana. I'm trying not to bring in anything new unless something old goes away!



Three lovely iron wall planters & one Italian pot. $11. At first the guy said, "These came from Roger's Gardens (famously gorgeous and pricey nursery here in Newport). How about $30 for all three?" I made a face. That was pretty much all it took. $10 for the three, and a buck for the clay pot. Here are the before & after shots. I just dug some stuff up out of the yard and stuck it in there. We'll see how it does.

This photo is funny because everything in it came from a garage sale. Hidden in the background is a little cement Sleepy (from Snow White) who was here when I moved in. I didn't really understand what he was doing here before, but these day his yawning presence pretty much sums it up. In fact, after all this garden putzing and a cold Stella, I was feeling exactly like this little guy.














An artist's chair. For sale from a sweet old lady who was also selling many water colors. At first I thought I'd really use it for drawing (I mean, my iPad can even fit in that zipper pocket). But when I got home I dragged it out in the garden (as you can see from the potting soil all around it) and it worked perfectly. $5.



One funny side note. Remember this stuff? Those round-faced children wearing brightly colored clothes and happily riding bikes or playing tunes or whatever? We saw what appeared to be knock-offs of them for sale at the first place we stopped. Then we went around the corner and there were a few more of them (the exact same knock-offs) dragged out on the driveway. Unbelievable.


And, since it's a gardening post, here is the little pot I bought a few weeks ago. Like the other ones, I filled it with cuttings from stuff in the yard. Now I just hope for survival!

Hope you get to be outside!

1 comment:

  1. You pay extra for fine distressing like that. Nice haul.

    I haven't done a bit of yard work, although I really need to. Not inspired... But I am off to go outside w/ my doggy right now.

    ReplyDelete