Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dollar Days

Carol & I were back at it this morning after two rainy Saturdays. There were so many sales today that we couldn't make it to all of them. It was a day of DVD's, kids' games, and many kitchen gadgets. Carol found the microwave oven (for her daughter) that was on her list. And the one thing I really needed, a little "lift" for my new LCD player on my school computer (you know the kind: sort of an open rack for stacking things in cupboards) was sitting on the driveway at our very first sale. I love it when that happens. I also bought a really nice copy of one of my favorite books: The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy. (Possibly the best opening chapter ever written.) I was just recommending it to a friend of mine last week. Now I have a copy to give her. Everything cost $1 today. The aforementioned rack: $1. Book: $1. Two little bottle green candlesticks (I know...what do I need more candlesticks for? But how can I resist my favorite color? At this price I can give some of my others away): $1. A "Toes on the Nose" hoodie for chilly weekends: $1. Another lamp (yes, I can hear you, "Another lamp?" But look how cute!): $1. A way nicer enameled white colander than the one I am currently using: $1. Two pretty, red mosaic picture frames, brand new: $1. (The original price tag is still on the 4x6 box: $19.99. Remember what I told you about never buying new picture frames?) And finally, tiny and adorable shamrock cups: 4 for $1. St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner, what can I say.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of that book. I'll have to check it out - or at least the first paragraph. (I have such a massive To Read list, it's crazy.)

    I saw some garage sale signs today, but we were on our way to Fiesta Island w/ Abby and she def'ly did NOT want to detour!

    ReplyDelete