Saturday, October 16, 2010

Drizzly

It's drizzly and cool this morning. Good morning for reading the paper and drinking coffee.

I started the laundry, read the first section of the L.A. Times and then headed out on my own.

I saw some great stuff at a house nearby on the very snootily named "Private Road". This is a little dead-end of a street with their own community swimming pool and little park right in the middle of their cul-de-sac. The backs of the houses look out over the nearby Back Bay. Lovely.

The garage sale in question had beautiful antique quilts, lovely mirrors, many interesting architectural pieces, and a really pretty red damask scarf. Unfortunately there was nothing available at a garage sale price. Pillows (which were admittedly, kind of nice) were marked $25. Please. The aforementioned scarf: also $25. Once in a while I'll pay real money for something, but this place was over the top. There were people swarming over the place, too. I heard someone say that it had all come from some giant flea market in Massachusetts. Maybe if I had flown to Massachusetts and visited this flea market myself I would've paid $25 for a scarf, but not on somebody's driveway.

I headed out to a public road where I ended up spending $1.
Here's what I bought:

I know. It looks boring. But it's a lot of useful stuff! Teachers have to write a lot of thank-you notes. Kids and parents are constantly bringing you little things and you have to be a good roll model and write a little note. Anyway, it's just polite. And who doesn't need brand new magnetic grocery lists? I usually pay $1 for one of those at Michael's. As far as the little picture frame...I should really stop buying picture frames because I have way too many of them. But they're nice for little gifts for people. And the price was definitely right.
OK. It is kind of boring.

3 comments:

  1. Don't send one of those barn cards as a thank you to Ma. She'll frame and hang them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @BJackie
    Actually, I was thinking of giving her all those barn cards. But you're right: it could
    be dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can never have too many magnetic pads, IMO. And I also raid the bins at Michael's for them.

    ReplyDelete