Saturday, August 14, 2010

Coincidence, or something more?

I'm reading a great book right now called Crow Planet, which is a kind of guide to discovering nature in your urban surroundings. Author Lyanda Haupt makes the claim that studying a certain subject somehow allows you to encounter that subject more often. I have definitely found this to be the case. My own explanation for it is that we are probably just more aware of something we wouldn't otherwise notice: it was there all along, only now we can see it.


So, it's the end of summer, and I'm starting to get mentally prepared for being back in the classroom. I always have an "Author of the Month." Some authors are so perfect for this grade level that I include them every year (William Steig, Patricia Polacco, Chris Van Allsburg, Roald Dahl)...but I always like to try some different ones, too. I was just researching two authors yesterday: Patricia MacLachlan and Russell Hoban. I have lots of their books, but haven't "studied" either one. (In one book, All the Places to Love, Maclachlan describes crows as "swaggering like pirates", a line I always think of when I see them crossing the neighborhood sidewalks. But I digress.) This morning I found Sarah, Plain & Tall (by Maclachlan), and Monsters (by Hoban) along side James and the Giant Peach ( by Dahl) at the same garage sale. Coincidence?

My students also have a unit on biographies sometime mid-year. I had the Amelia Earhart book in my hand at Border's yesterday morning and then decided to wait on that one. And this morning, there it was for 25 cents instead of $4.00.



There were lots of other unexpected treasures this morning. More Beanie Babies, for one thing, and this time they were only a quarter! That's the cheapest I've ever found them. I've reached my quota for this school year, but if I see them for a quarter a piece again I don't think I'll be able to pass them up!




The best finds today were at sales in a really excellent neighborhood. I know some of you might be squeamish about clothes and shoes from garage sales, but if they're in good shape I'm happy to snap up a good deal. This morning I found a cozy, like new Gap Body sweatshirt (so soft!) for $5 and a pair of black "Cloud 9" Nine West shoes (also in perfect condition) for another $5.


I also got these woven placemats, mostly because they are my favorite colors and go with everything else I own. And the Christmas stockings were just too nice. Every year I hang stockings for anyone who happens to be joining us for the holiday. Some of those old stockings are just too cheesy. These are way cuter and were probably ridiculously pricey when new. I got all four for $20.










Here are my favorite finds of the day: this little hammered metal tray ($3) and this necklace of silvery-gray beads with a beautiful little silver & garnet clasp ($15: a bit pricy, but just too pretty to pass up.)

Think good thoughts and study up. Maybe it'll bring you some little treasures.

2 comments:

  1. Nice haul. Like that tray. I agree about seeing things you never noticed before - they were there all along, you just are more conscious of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a pair of those Cloud 9 shoes and love them. But I paid retail.

    ReplyDelete