Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Black & White & Cozy All Over











Emily has moved to Tucson, taking most of the contents of her room along with her. Since I knew this was coming, I've been watching for things to re-do her room for the past couple of months. I found a set of black & white linens, including bed spread, dust ruffle, & pillow shams for $5. Then I came across these two big, framed prints, along with some smaller black & white photos in frames (although those didn't really work in this room.) The little black "Paris" rack with hooks is something Emily picked up and then decided to leave with me because it was too cute with the black & white theme.


Remember the little black "berry basket" from a few blogs back? I thought I was going to use it for plants, but it's pretty cute in here for guest supplies.




The old folding chair under the window is one of the very first garage sale purchases I ever made. I bought it in Long Beach when I moved into my first apartment about (gulp) 37 years ago. It came out of an old theater that was torn down. I've dragged that little thing from house to house since 1973.


I have to say that even though all this stuff came from garage sales, I was actually inspired by my friend Cynthia, whose guest room is unbelievably cozy and beautiful, and filled with black & white accents. The photo below is just one of the guest rooms in her house in Arkansas. Most of those little plates over the bed have a story attached to them. But I think at least some of them
came from garage sales!


Every time I stay at Cynthia's house I come home with an itch to reorganize and straighten things up! She is so classy. This photo doesn't do the room justice. When you get to her house, you feel like you've arrived at a first-class hotel: luggage rack, fluffy white bath robes, and a tray full of fresh fruit & flowers. Last time there was even a bottle of Jack Daniels! I love this woman. My black & white guest room is a little tribute to her.

1 comment:

  1. Cynthia and I are honored that you have mentioned the "Jean and Joe Suite" in your blog. That bottle of Jack is still waiting for you when you visit next!

    XOXO,

    Cyn and Mike

    ReplyDelete