Wednesday, June 22, 2016

"Maybe It Will Be An Art Project" and Other Justifications For Buying Things I Don't Need

I used to check the PennySaver (remember that?) early in the week to plan my Saturday morning saling route. On Fridays I'd check the local classifieds and there would often be a long column of possibilities under "Garage Sales".  Highlighter in hand, I'd mark the ones that looked promising and keep the list in my car. Now it's 2016 and there is no Penny Saver or classifieds for that matter! I guess you can do the same thing online, but I never do.  I just venture out into the neighborhood to see what's happening. If I'm not dressed and in my car by 7:45 am I might as well just go back to bed. Carol & I are usually out the door by 7:30.  (Even then we often find that some local driveways are already decimated.)  The only exception to the 7:45 rule is for Estate Sales. In my neighborhood, true estate sales (there are fake ones, of course) start on Thursday or Friday and end on Saturday or Sunday. Any time on the first day of an actual estate sale can be lucrative. Most of the time I just scope them out to see if there's anything to come back for on half-price Saturday. So...

This is a brand new 6-inch Mario Batali Dansk cast iron skillet in deep red.  I knew it wouldn't be there for long, so I paid $10 for it on Thursday.  (And by the way, being able to go to estate sales on Thursdays is about #44 on the list of reasons-why-retirement-is-fantastic).    I thought that ten bucks was probably a little steep, but then I came home and googled it.  No.  These things are pricey.  Also, hello.  It is adorable. 








 This box came home with me, too.  I paid $5 for this silly thing which was probably meant to hold CD's.  It's from a company called Napa Valley Box Company.  Evidently it has gone out of business, because when you google it, you get zillions of Ebay listings for waaaay more than $5!  This is the second one I've picked up recently.  The first one was bigger and spray painted bright orange and is currently being turned into an art piece.  Eventually this one will follow suit. 

I also looked at this architectural print on Thursday, but decided that I didn't really need it or have wall space for it.  Hahaha.  When Carol and I came back on Saturday and everything was half price it came home with me anyway.  (For $7.50)  Carol found a pair of really excellent table lamps at the same sale, but no pictures of those I'm afraid. 


Other nice early Saturday morning finds include these three things that I absolutely have no need for but couldn't resist:

Another wind chime.  I justify the purchase of so many of these by telling myself that they make good squirrel deterrents.  I'm not sure that's really true, but since my dog has gone over my back wall not once, but twice in pursuit of squirrels I will try anything.  And anyway, how can you not buy such a pretty wind chime for just $1? 

The old window came home just because I liked it.   Shelling out $15 for an old window has to have some justification behind it, though, so here's how my thought process went:
"I like this.  It looks cool."
"Yes, but what will you do with it?"
"Maybe it could be an art project!  Yeah, I think it could definitely be an art project!" 
And out comes my wallet.
In reality, it turned out to be just another squirrel deterrent.  It's currently hanging outside in one of Stella's prime squirrel attack spots.  And it does look cool. 



Finally, a tiny little yellow teapot.  It would make sense if I actually drank tea.  But I'm a coffee person.  I almost never drink tea.  There is something about the shape and feel of these old teapots and pitchers that I just can't resist.  This one is from the Wallace China company in Los Angeles and it's probably old.  According to this California Pottery link it was in operation from 1931-1964.  I could probably sell it, but I know me.  I'll just keep it sitting around with all my other cool old pottery pitchers.  Eventually, as my daughter Emily recently told me, "you'll be dead and we'll have to deal with all this shit."  But it was only $1.  How can you pass that up?

3 comments:

  1. Hello, that pot IS adorable! And the window is really cool. Love the color! Squirrel deterring is good. Wish I had trees to hang windchimes in - although it gets crazy windy here, so maybe it's best I don't.

    Too funny about what Em said..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The PennySaver started up again here a few months ago! And I have been looking for a window like that for a year with an craft project in mind if you have enough squirrel deterrents. Have to privately communicate due to potentially involved gift receivers seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holding it here for you as interim squirrel deterrent. Should I pick up more of these if I see them?

      Delete