Saturday, March 26, 2011

Excellent finds

Carol has asked me to post photos of her excellent finds this morning. That way she can share things with her sister and get opinions. So here goes:



A beautiful photograph of NYC, Carol's hometown. At first glance, she immediately started pointing out places where she had lived and gone to school. I convinced her she had to have it: $15. A couple garden goodies; sturdy tools & little planter: $2. A pretty little magazine rack and a Williams Sonoma pasta sauce book: I'm not sure about this. I think the book was free and the rack was $3. A sweet little pine dresser for $25 which is going in her guest room. And finally, a soft & beautiful quilt that she bought as a house-warming gift for her niece, Molly, who recently bought the house of her dreams (or at least Carol's dreams) outside Chicago: $30. (It's draped over last week's Adirondack chairs in this photo.)





We met some really lovely people this morning. Some of them are down-sizing, something Carol & I talk about constantly and never actually do anything about. One couple told us they were moving a few blocks away because someone came to their door and offered them cash for their house: evidently an offer they could not refuse. This is going to become my new fantasy.




Then we met another lovely woman (a landscape designer, golfer, & volunteer for Meals on Wheels), also down-sizing, who was selling beautiful things that had belonged to her mother. The pine dresser & magazine rack came from her house. I bought these three beautiful etchings for $75. The photos don't do them justice. They are really elegantly framed and tinted in soft shades of green and brown. The smallest one is Salzburg. I'm not sure about the other two. The woman got tears in her eyes when I carried them away. I told her I'd take good care of them. I came home and immediately took things off the walls in the living room to rearrange. Very nice.



Two other small finds for me this morning: a box of sturdy champagne flutes (11 total) for $5. Useful for Easter brunch mimosas and big family gatherings! Also an old wooden tote made from a piece of an old Jap Rose Soap box. Such a terrible name! Fortunately you can't really see the script unless you really look closely. The woman shows up nicely, though: $2.



Excellent finds.




















Happy Saturday!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, can you keep an eye out for a bookshelf that you can transport to Tucson? I could have used a new one about thirty books ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Emilyon: I will do that...or we can go look for one when I get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what I did to set this up, but I got an email of this post (which I noticed as I read this and was opening up my mail). Very convenient. And many good fines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also got an email w/ the post - that was new. Did you do something diff w/ your settings? (just curious for my own blog...)

    Cool stuff. And, yes, that is a terrible name for that soap!

    You see that happen in movies - people walk up and offer to buy a house, but never knew it happens in real life!

    ReplyDelete