Sunday, December 19, 2010

Fa la la la la

Merry Christmas!

I know I've groused about Christmas crapola in past blogs, but the truth is that some of my favorite Christmas tchotchkes were purchased at garage sales. These rusty old metal snowmen were too cute to pass up some years back. They look pretty cute on my mantel. I think I paid $5 for them.




My friend Cynthia sent me a little tiny nativity set a couple of years ago (pictured on the right here). I love it because I have a matching set (on the left) that my daughter, Sara bought me at Olvera Street in Los Angeles. So cute! They're so small that they fit on little Mexican plates (also from garage sales!) and I love that their clothes are different shades. If there were a few more figures in each set they could fill a chess board. Sheep for pawns maybe?


Here's one of my favorite finds: another nativity set, also from Mexico. It came in a beat-up cardboard box. I couldn't believe anyone would part with it, but that is really the nature of garage sales, isn't it? Again, I think it was $5, but it may have been a bit higher. It's been a while. These little figures are so sweet, very intricately painted and such lovely expressions. I especially like the "halos" that are just balls on sticks poking out of their heads. They always sit in my living room window, along with the little tiny guys mentioned above, plus two other nativities that together constitute a collection of sorts. Ironic, considering my complete lack of faith. No matter. I do love the story, and as Joe often says by way of a quick toast during the holidays, "Baby Jesus rules!"












3 comments:

  1. Did you and Em sail yesterday, or was the weather no good?

    Cute nativities and I love those rusty snowmen. See you soon for xmas festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @BJackie: No sailing this weekend. Much too rainy! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Christmas tchotchkes"... very interfaith.

    ReplyDelete